Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hood Project Update

It's off the loom!  Finally.  If I hadn't decided to spin the fibre, it would have been done ages ago, but since I did, my projected timeline got skewed by a variety of things. It really shouldn't have taken so long to weave off.  I think the lack of colour and the time of year got in the way of that, as well as a couple of SCA events and my Master Spinner 2 class.   It doesn't matter though, it's done.  I will wet finish it and dig out my hood pattern.  Winter is here you know, and a hood is a good way to keep warm!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Hood Project

Of our group members, virtually all of us are weavers of some fashion, whether we're experienced or not.  We got together late this summer and decided that we would do a group project challenge by weaving yardage, ostensibly for Saxon hoods.   We set dates for getting the warp wound, loom dressed and fabric woven off.   The first two dates came and went, with most if not all of us not meeting our deadlines.    One of us had to back out due to school commitments - Master's degrees come before playing.   Another had life get busy and hated the project currently on her loom.  She found it difficult to weave off, until she finally changed it.  Changing the tie up made the project fun again, because she isn't fond of twills.   A third cryptically said that her warp hated her..  I'll leave that one up to your imagination as much as mine came up with some brilliant scenarios.  Me, I kept putting things off due to Master Spinner homework, then the next Master Spinner course and finally because I was spinning and weaving my fibres.  I'd made a small change which resulted in a major increase in yarn needed, so I had to do lots more spinning.

It seemed like it took me forever to dress the loom.   Just getting back into the swing of weaving after a few months hiatus was difficult.  Once I really sat down and started threading heddles, it only took a couple of days though.   I've somewhere abouts 670 some threads, so while not a massive project, it's big enough.  

Yesterday I finished winding the yarn on and did my test weaving.   Today, if I actually get myself to my bobbin winder, I can start weaving!   I present the first half of my Saxon spin patterned hood project.. now to hopefully get it woven off before the 2nd Sunday in December.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blacksmith - Hammering Out Ideas

The building project this weekend was great. There is something about that kind of early style timber framing that is incredibly satisfying - even though we are using chainsaws and modern tools (we're enthusiasts not experts) it still was great fun. As we were working, I kept glancing over at the six concrete footings where my forge is going to be. I can't wait to start that building project, but I realize it's down a ways on the list. I can see my forge at the longhall so clearly in my head that I can almost hear the anvil and smell the charcoal smoke. I can't wait. Maybe next summer I'll set up my travel forge rig for a weekend at the farm. It looked awesome at the Althing event and it would look equally so next to the longhall. Not quite the same as having my own actual forge building, but it would still be great fun.

My blacksmithing plans for this winter hopefully will be working on the locking and security hardware for the longhouse main doors. I have some plans that I'm keeping secret for now but I hope they turn out as I picture them in my head. I'm going to be working on these projects in my classroom forge since it is the only forge space I have right now (until my home smithy gets built - eventually), and it will have to be afterschool, so this could take me a while.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Longhall

The longhall has been under construction for several years now. In a hidden corner of a member's farm, we constantly are adding to our playhouse. It's rather drafty but dry. It has shutters, doors and newly added is a hideaway closet to stash modern items and safety equipment.

Today the first posts went up on the kitchen area. It will have a common area and beside it an area with a central hearth and bread oven so we can cook our meals on site. We've had to make certain adjustments due to our rather harsh and extremely varied climate, but we're doing our best to make it using 11th century techniques. We've also planned a forge for the blacksmith and a weaver's shed as future projects.